Wednesday, March 31, 2010

This is Me

I had been planning to write a post about the "Real Me" when my friend Some Girl beat me to it.  She did such a good job, that it could have almost been word for word about myself.  Check it out here if you'd like to see what she wrote.  After reading her post, I got to thinking more about my true self.   I am far from perfect, but I also try to be a good person.   I slip up and snap at the boys when I'm tired or frustrated.  I spend time on the computer when I should be playing with them. I'll do almost anything to help a friend.    I swear, although I try not to.   I try to do good things. I'm impatient with, and yell 'IT'S NOT YOUR TURN!', at drivers who can't seem to figure out how to use a four-way stop.  I'm pretty good at going with the flow (except at those darn 4 way stops).  I'm selfish and want things my way. I let my kids eat sugar, drink pop, and watch TV, but I also make sure they spend a lot of time outside being active, and learn the difference between treats and healthy choices.  I have a strong faith.  I'm almost never brave enough to talk about it.  I leave dirty dishes in the sink almost every night.

I am introverted to the point of seeming rude at times.  I really wish I wasn't.  I really wish I could be more bold and outrageous.  For example, if you dyed your hair cupcake pink, I would think it was pretty cool, and secretly wish I could do something so bold.  (I think I'd go for white with pink stripes.... seriously.)  If you invite the whole neighborhood over for a cookout, I would think it wonderful and welcoming.  But I'd also be cringing at the thought of having to talk to people I don't know well.  I wish I were more outgoing.

But, take all the good and bad, and I'm happy with my life.  Not that I'm not working on improving things, and finding balance.  I am.  But I'm happy with me, right here, right now.   I wasn't always able to say that.

7 comments:

Kiki said...

Yup, that's you. And that's why you are such an awesome friend and I love you!!!

Shell said...

AWWw....Thanks! You made my day!

Michelle said...

I agree with Kristen! I love you and I'm glad God made us neighbors and friends! And I'm glad you are who you are!

And then there's the question... if I dye my hair pink and have a big cookout... you'd think it was cool and cringe, but is there ANY chance I could talk you into doing it, too? hmmm.... this presents a challenge. ;) lol

Michelle said...

Oh, and thanks for the link love! :)

Unknown said...

Aw! You gave me a little shoutout! :) I could totally see you rocking the crazy hair. But Aaron and I discussed it and think that you would probably get too much flack for that down in Texas. Also Joe would never stop teasing you. Seriously, I'm gonna get shit next time I see him, huh?

Anyway, you sound SO much like your brother in that post it's ridiculous. Even though he actually does (or at least DID) crazy stuff like dye his hair green and pierce is face and wear crazy clothes, he's still the most painfully shy person I've ever known.

Shell said...

SomeGirl... Don't hold your breath! ;p

Megs, I totally couldn't pull off the hair. But I would love it. And yes, you know you're right about Joe! All in love though. Aaron and I are completely the same. He's just more willing to show his funky streak than I am. And to think, I'm SO MUCH BETTER, about not being shy and crawling in a hole to hide like I used to. Crazy how bad it used to be!

Shell said...

Oh, and MD, I'm glad we're neighbors and friends too! What a blessing!!