Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mama, You've Got My Support Too


I've been thinking a lot this weekend about this new mama that is a good friend of a friend.  I don't want to use her real name here, because I don't really know her well, so I'll call her Brielle (it's a Modern English name meaning strength of God...kind of pretty, don't you think?).   Anyway, Brielle is a new mama.  She just brought home her new adopted daughter.  Now, she's not a brand new mama, in the sense that this isn't her first child, but she's a new mama in that she's just brought her precious baby home.


This precious baby daughter is also the sister of Brielle's other adopted daughter.  What a blessing, right?  To be able to not only love and care for and rejoice in the blessing of a new child, but to also be able to keep two biological sisters together.  I had heard that Brielle was hoping for this to happen.  And I was overjoyed to hear that she'd been blessed in this way.


It has been a tough year for Brielle.  She lost her mother this year, unexpectedly, I believe.  She's had to deal with learning to live without that support and love.  I haven't had to experience that yet, so I can only imagine her grief. And even though I can't really comprehend what that's like, my heart goes out to her.  I was glad to hear that the new baby was here, to bring her some much deserved love and joy.


Then, I heard the bad news.  Unfortunately, not everyone in Brielle's life is happy about the new baby.  Isn't that sad?  A new life, new joy, everyone should be filled with happiness and excitement, not planning an intervention to tell Brielle....whatever they think is wrong with it I guess.  I can't even imagine how someone could say there is something wrong with taking in and loving a helpless little newborn.  That it could in any way be wrong to bring your daughter's sister into your family.  I just can't comprehend it.


I'm sure her loved ones mean well.  Maybe their concerns stem from the loss of her mother, or maybe they come from the fact that Brielle has more than the average family of two adults and two kids. Sometimes I look at families with more than two kids and think, "Wow.  How do they DO that?".  I know that people sometimes look at these families as if there is something 'wrong' or 'crazy' with having more than the average number of kids.

Here is what I have to say to that:  I have chosen the two kids and two parents route.  It's right for us, although I wouldn't necessarily mind having more kids.  It's just that I don't have the will to go through all the paperwork to adopt, and I am positive that my body couldn't handle the hormone ride of pregnancy again. (I lost most of my mind the first two times, never really got it back, and I might just come out a vegetable if I went through it again...LOL).  But I can't help but look at my two boys, and feel all the blessings and joy that come from them, and wonder if I'm not the crazy one for not having more.  Who would turn down an abundance of joy and blessings?  No thanks, I've got enough.  Don't give me any more good stuff.  Doesn't sound very smart, now does it?


So, although none of this is any of my business, I just want to say to Brielle, "Mama, you've got my support."   I'm on your side, and I'm praying for you and this wonderful new addition to your family.  I'm praying for you to stay strong, to be filled with joy and happiness, and to cast away any doubts that might come your way.   I pray for that intervention to turn the tables on your loved ones, and become an intervention for them, so that they might better understand your heart and support you.  Most of all, I pray that you are all able to get on the same page, a family in harmony and at peace.


May God give you...
For every storm a rainbow, 
for every tear a smile,
for every care a promise 
and a blessing in each trial. 
For every problem life sends, 
a faithful friend to share,
for every sigh a sweet song 
and an answer for each prayer.

No comments: